TYK Upgrade from v2.5.1

We are using opensource TYK v2.5.1 with grpc go plugin as custom middle-ware. Now we need to upgrade the TYK version probably to v3.2.1 OR any latest version.

Please answer the following queries regarding the same:

Q1. Are there any guidelines which need to be taken care of as there is not much information available in release notes documentation.

Q2. Are there any compatibility issue with different versions of grpc plugin & suggest the required plugin version.

Q3. Does the latest TYK versions consumes more resources in terms of cpu, memory etc

Hi,

Q1. Are there any guidelines which need to be taken care of as there is not much information available in release notes documentation.

I’m afraid there aren’t any, although Olu has given a great outline

Q2. Are there any compatibility issue with different versions of grpc plugin & suggest the required plugin version.

None that we are aware of, but I’m not aware of such a large version jump being done before. Please let us know what issues you encounter.

Q3. Does the latest TYK versions consumes more resources in terms of cpu, memory etc

Yes, it does, but not huge amounts. All the components are as small and resource friendly as we can make them, but they do more so there will be a cost for that. The gateway is constantly optimised for performance so you may find that recent versions are faster in some use cases than older ones. However there may be use cases where it does more and is a little slower.

On modern hardware I wouldn’t expect to see differences that would cause problems.

Lastly please read the Long term support policy before selecting a gateway version to upgrade to.

Cheers,
Pete