Mandatory parameters for enabling redis rate limiting

we are having a configuration of tyk where enable_non_transactional_rate_limiter flag is true.
So we are having a doubt

1. Is it suffice alone to enable redis rate limiting in tyk
    OR
  2. it is just for performance enhancement which works with any of enable_redis_rolling_limiter, enable_sentinel_rate_limiter required parameters.

Hello @Mohit_Kumar please have a look at this documentation page. If you still have any questions I will be more than happy to clarify :slight_smile:

Hey @zaid thanks for docs, gone thru it.
As per my understanding enable_non_transactional_rate_limiter parameter is only used once we have enable_redis_rolling_limiter OR enable_sentinel_rate_limiter enabled.

enable_non_transactional_rate_limiter is of no use alone.

Correct me if that’s wrong understanding.
Thanks

Hi Mohit,

Yes, you are right, enable_non_transactional_rate_limiter parameter is only used once we have enable_redis_rolling_limiter OR enable_sentinel_rate_limiter enabled. Refer
https://tyk.io/docs/tyk-oss-gateway/configuration/#enable_non_transactional_rate_limiter

cheers

Thanks for the help!!

Just a quick correction to both answers.

enable_redis_rolling_limiter is the main option. Once that’s enabled you’ll get redis rate limiting.

enable_sentinel_rate_limiter can be enabled but it actually requires the enable_redis_rolling_limiter to also be enabled for it to function.

enable_non_transactional_rate_limiter parameter is only used once we have enable_redis_rolling_limiter enabled.

1 Like