Tyk Pro Docker Demo

Hi, I totally new to Tyk. Using the newest Tyk Pro Docker Demo the dashboard can’t find the mongo DB within the docker-compose environment. I just change the values of “hostname” and “override_hostname” to “127.0.0.1” in tyk_analytics.conf. Did I miss something else?

Best,
Daniel

Hi @danielkocot,

Are you using this repo GitHub - TykTechnologies/tyk-pro-docker-demo: Tyk Pro demo using docker and docker compose, supercedes tyk_quickstart?

If so, Tyk should work out of the box. You’ll just need to add these two entries to your /etc/hosts

127.0.0.1 www.tyk-portal-test.com
127.0.0.1 www.tyk-test.com

Hi @zaid,

I using the mentioned repo. I watched the lastet video from Matt about installing Tyk locally and he mentioned that there is no need to change the hosts file. I’ll give it a try.
Thanks for the hint.

Best,
Daniel

Awesome @danielkocot let me know if you run into any other issues.

@zaid I am trying to follow GitHub - TykTechnologies/tyk-pro-docker-demo: Tyk Pro demo using docker and docker compose, supercedes tyk_quickstart for a PoC.

However, I cannot open the developer portal. When i click on the portal link up it redirects met to the internal docker ( i would expect localhost/127.0.0.1)
If i manually navigate to 127.0.0.1/portal i get to login page of the dashboard. (while the admin works for that page, the dev login i manually created in the dashboard is not accepted).

I tried the etc/host modifications, but these dont change the behaviour of the login page.

I would expect that /portal presents me with a login page of the developer portal where developers can login, and that the page would also look different for the dashboard login page.

Hello @jeduden,

The reason the portal is not working is because it is not bootstrapped. If you run the following commands it should bootstrap the protal for you.

# Create Portal.
curl -X POST localhost:3000/api/portal/configuration \
  --header "Authorization: $TOKEN" \
  --data "{}"

# Initialize Catalogue.
curl -X POST localhost:3000/api/portal/catalogue \
  --data "{
    \"org_id\": \"$ORG\"
  }"

# Create Portal Home Page.
curl -X POST localhost:3000/api/portal/pages \
  --data "{
    \"is_homepage\": true,
    \"template_name\": \"\",
    \"title\": \"Developer Portal Home\",
    \"slug\": \"/\",
    \"fields\": {
      \"JumboCTATitle\": \"Tyk Developer Portal\",
      \"SubHeading\": \"Sub Header\",
      \"JumboCTALink\": \"#cta\",
      \"JumboCTALinkTitle\": \"Your awesome APIs, hosted with Tyk!\",
      \"PanelOneContent\": \"Panel 1 content.\",
      \"PanelOneLink\": \"#panel1\",
      \"PanelOneLinkTitle\": \"Panel 1 Button\",
      \"PanelOneTitle\": \"Panel 1 Title\",
      \"PanelThereeContent\": \"\",
      \"PanelThreeContent\": \"Panel 3 content.\",
      \"PanelThreeLink\": \"#panel3\",
      \"PanelThreeLinkTitle\": \"Panel 3 Button\",
      \"PanelThreeTitle\": \"Panel 3 Title\",
      \"PanelTwoContent\": \"Panel 2 content.\",
      \"PanelTwoLink\": \"#panel2\",
      \"PanelTwoLinkTitle\": \"Panel 2 Button\",
      \"PanelTwoTitle\": \"Panel 2 Title\"
    }
  }"

# Set Protal CNAME.
curl -X PUT localhost:3000/api/portal/cname \
  --data "{
    \"cname\": \"\"
  }"

You will need to export the TOKEN, ORG values as envrinment variables or replace the instances in the commands with the authorization token and organization ID respectively. Both values can be found under the edit user profile section in the dashboard.

Lastly, restart your dashboard container and then you should be able to access the portal. Let me know if this helps,
Zaid

Thanks a lot ! This worked.

Awesome to hear! Glad I can help :slight_smile: