Tyk dashboard license management

Hi,
I was trying to set up tyk cluster with 2 gateway nodes.
I’m able to setup tyk gateway and pump (community edition) in 2 systems. both are up and running fine.
And with the issued tyk-onPremise license key, I have setup dashboard in both the machines and using the same license key(i.e… single license in both setups).
now I tried configuring the tyk gateway with dashboard in both the machines, which is working fine.

Now my doubt is how does tyk manage license key?
Note : both setups are pointing to the same db setup(i.e… mongo and redis).

It would be of great help if you can give some reference on how does tyk dashboard licensing architecture.

Hi Ashwini

Licence Options
Tyk is licenced according to the number of gateways managed by a dashboard in each environment.
There is a free licence, for a dashboard to manage an environment containing a single gateway.
There are also licences to manage 2 or more gateways in an environment, these have a cost attached and cna be bought from the website, or by contacting an account manager or partner.

Environments
Each licence can only be used in a single environment, using it in multiple environments will render you liable for additional charges.

We define an environment as 1 or more gateways connected to a single Redis instance (DB, cluster, elasticache, etc) and managed by a dashboard.

Horizontal Scaling
If you have “horizontally scaled” the dashboard within an environment, so both dashboards connect to the same MongoDB, and are managing the same cluster, then the same licence can be used in both dashboards, as they share a MongoDB and are managing the same cluster of Tyk gateway.
However, if you are using the licence in 2 x dash, each connected to a different mongo DB/managing a different gateway cluster, you will receive a bill for over-use of the licence.

Next steps
I’d recommend you contact your account manager and they can make sure you have the correct licences and are not incorrectly charged.

Thanks

James

Hi Ashwini,

Good day! I am the Account Manager - APAC for Tyk based in Singapore. Do drop me an email at [email protected] to discuss further with regard to your licensing requirements. Alternatively, you can reach out to us via Contact - Tyk API Management.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Cheers,
Zane

Hi James,
Thank you very much for the very quick response.
Below statements are confusing.
There is a free licence, for a dashboard to manage an environment containing a single gateway.
Each licence can only be used in a single environment => environment as 1 or more gateways connected to a single Redis instance (DB, cluster, elasticache, etc) and managed by a dashboard.

And according to below statement, if this is the valid case, then I’m trying to setup the same.
If you have “horizontally scaled” the dashboard within an environment, so both dashboards connect to the same MongoDB, and are managing the same cluster, then the same licence can be used in both dashboards, as they share a MongoDB and are managing the same cluster of Tyk gateway.

But in Nodes and License section I see below details which would invalidate the above statement.

Data Value
Active Nodes: 2
Total available: 1
Remaining: -1
Expires: in a year

Hi Ashwin

A free licence can only manage a single gateway node, you can see lots of info about that on the tyk.io website and the EULA in the software.

If you want to manage multiple gateway nodes in a single environment (as indicated above - you have 2 nodes - that is 2 gateways) you need a paid licence.

You can contact a Tyk account manager via the forms on the website, or one of the phone numbers displayed. Alternatively, you can purchase the licence direct using a credit card.

Thanks

James