This is a big one: Tyk 1.5 Released, no more licenses!

Imported Google Group message. Original thread at: Redirecting to Google Groups Import Date: 2016-01-19 21:45:14 +0000.
Sender:Martin Buhr.
Date:Thursday, 12 February 2015 09:59:20 UTC.

Hi Everyone,

So we’ve done it, finally - As of Tyk 1.5 the licenses for the dashboard and the hot-reload agent are no more. The dashboard, the hot reload agent, the advanced management API, they are all free to use now, with no limitations. We’re incredibly happy about this, because putting restrictions on your software is a little like shooting yourself in the knee and then jumping down a flight of stairs. It’s cruel, painful, and completely unnecessary.

We want everyone to use our software, so we’ve set it free. existing license holder don’t need to worry, you still get exclusive access to new releases, an inside-track on new developments and dedicated support.

On the subject of support - we’ve now created dedicated support tiers which can be purchased annually or monthly, existing license holders will fall into the basic support group (with extra love in our hearts, so don’t expect the limits to be strict).

With Tyk 1.5 come three lovely new features:

1. Caching - finally
  2. Body and Header modification on the fly (without scripting middleware), this is fast.
  3. A shiny new API designer for the dashboard that makes it super imple to set up API’s, mocks and endpoints - it’s really very pretty

The full write-up is in our blog post.

Cheers,
Martin

Imported Google Group message.
Sender:Anup Chatterjee.
Date:Wednesday, 12 August 2015 17:57:39 UTC+1.

Hi Martin,

Would you be willing to change the license to Apache or MIT license as opposed to MPL on tyk/LICENSE.md at master · TykTechnologies/tyk · GitHub. MPL is restrictive for enterprise usage and my large corp doesn’t like MPL for some reason.

Thanks,

• Anup
  • show quoted text -

Date:Wednesday, 12 August 2015 18:00:51 UTC+1.

Hi Anup,

I replied to your post :slight_smile: But this might be a better place for something like this.

Changing license is a big deal, and we’d be very very very cautious in going about it, we would need some strong arguments for it… so here goes, what are the issues with the MPL?

Cheers,
Martin

• show quoted text -

Sender:Anup Chatterjee.
Date:Wednesday, 12 August 2015 18:18:00 UTC+1.

Thanks Martin for the quick reply and yes this is a better forum for such requests. I am not savvy enough with license legality but my company scrutinizes any software inclusion done which is MPL, GPL, LGPL equally and approvals for software with those license terms are very difficult and almost impossible to approve. I also don’t have the exact details as to what is the issue with MPL and will not be able to answer that question.
Do you happen to have a different license with a commercial support option even though it is free?

Thanks,
Anup

• show quoted text -

Date:Wednesday, 12 August 2015 18:30:15 UTC+1.

Hi Anup,

Ah I see - we’ll take a deeper look at it and see exactly what the differences are. We’re always open to change so long as it is rational :slight_smile:

We do have a commercial / enterprise option which we’d be happy to discuss, email me on [email protected] with any questions about it and we can set something up.

Cheers,
Martin

• show quoted text -

• show quoted text -

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Tyk Community Support” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tyk-community-support/1d53a2c1-05a2-48fe-9351-31736fc88284%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.