How to use third-party Oauth providers?

Imported Google Group message. Original thread at: Redirecting to Google Groups Import Date: 2016-01-19 21:09:00 +0000.
Sender:Mathijs Van den Worm.
Date:Thursday, 2 April 2015 15:32:12 UTC+1.

Hi there,

I’d like to use a third-party as an Oauth provider (e.g Facebook, Google or GitHub) but I can’t seem to get it to work. Is it possible and if so could you tell me how?

Imported Google Group message.
Sender:Martin Buhr.
Date:Thursday, 2 April 2015 15:46:15 UTC+1.

Hi Mathjis,

Tyk can act as an OAuth server, in this case your applications sounds like an OAuth client, which would mean your application and the authenticating OAuth provider need to speak to one another directly.

If you are integrating authentication with a third paty OAuth provider, then essentially you are validating a users identity, you would usually, once the validation has taken place and the third-party authoriser has granted you a toekn to access the data providers user data, you would store that token alongside a local user record (so you can use it in future logins and populate your user record with their data), how this user then accesses your API is up to you - you could generate a key for them (with the Tyk REST API), store the returned key alongside the same user record and issue it to the user, they can then use this key to access your API (since signup is now completed) via Tyk.

I may be off the mark here - OAuth is pretty broad, what exactly are you trying to achieve?

Cheers,
Martin

On Thursday, April 2, 2015 at 3:32:12 PM UTC+1, Mathijs Van den Worm wrote:
Hi there,

I’d like to use a third-party as an Oauth provider (e.g Facebook, Google or GitHub) but I can’t seem to get it to work. Is it possible and if so could you tell me how?

Sender:Mathijs Van den Worm.
Date:Friday, 3 April 2015 08:42:45 UTC+1.

Hi Martin,

What I try to do is to use a third party to handle my userdata, I don’t want to store userdata. As it is to my understanding Oauth lets me do this by providing a accesstoken which can be used to aquire the userdata they’ve got.

In other words I’d like to grant access to my API if they provide a valid accesstoken. What I gather from your explanation, correct me if I’m wrong, is that this is not a way Tyk handles accesscontrol.

Kind regards,
Mathijs

Op donderdag 2 april 2015 16:46:15 UTC+2 schreef Martin Buhr:

• show quoted text -

Sender:Martin Buhr.
Date:Friday, 3 April 2015 09:44:22 UTC+1.

Hi,

I see - that sounds like you need an identity provider that supports third party OAuth, which makes sense.

Tyk currently doesn’t support this mode of operation, but if you raise a ticket in our GitHub we’ll put it on the roadmap for a future version as it would be a nice feature.

Sorry we can’t be of more help!

Cheers,
Martin