How to totally reset on-premise installation [Resolved]

Hi,

I’ve installed Tyk today to experiment a little bit and while it worked fine at first, at some point I set the dashboard domain as portal domain.
Since then, my dashboard stopped working.

I tried reinstalling it but I cannot find a way to get it to work again.

I removed all component (apt-get remove for dashboard, pump and gateway), I also emptied my mongo database.
Then I made sure the /opt/tyk-* folders were gone.

Then I tried to start from the beginning but the tyk-dashboard service never gets to start. Here is the details from sudo service tyk-dashboard status :
● tyk-dashboard.service - Tyk API Dashboard
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/tyk-dashboard.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: inactive (dead)

Oct 16 18:44:38 BLUEMINTRVIONNY tyk-analytics[14054]: /src/github.com/TykTechnologies/tyk-analytics/Main.go:530 +0x42a
Oct 16 18:44:38 BLUEMINTRVIONNY tyk-analytics[14054]: main.main()
Oct 16 18:44:38 BLUEMINTRVIONNY tyk-analytics[14054]: /src/github.com/TykTechnologies/tyk-analytics/Main.go:944 +0x57
Oct 16 18:44:38 BLUEMINTRVIONNY systemd[1]: tyk-dashboard.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=2/INVALIDARGUMENT
Oct 16 18:44:38 BLUEMINTRVIONNY systemd[1]: tyk-dashboard.service: Unit entered failed state.
Oct 16 18:44:38 BLUEMINTRVIONNY systemd[1]: tyk-dashboard.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
Oct 16 18:44:38 BLUEMINTRVIONNY systemd[1]: tyk-dashboard.service: Service hold-off time over, scheduling restart.
Oct 16 18:44:38 BLUEMINTRVIONNY systemd[1]: Stopped Tyk API Dashboard.
Oct 16 18:44:38 BLUEMINTRVIONNY systemd[1]: tyk-dashboard.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
Oct 16 18:44:38 BLUEMINTRVIONNY systemd[1]: Failed to start Tyk API Dashboard.

Can someone tell me what’s wrong or how I can fully reset the tyk installation so that I can start over ?
Thanks !

Robert

If yu want to totally blitz it - reinstall MongoDB :slight_smile:

Hey, I did try that too but didn’t change anything. When I apt-get remove mongodb it didn’t remove the content of the DB so I removed it manually via command line. But that’s when I got this error.

Or am I missing something in the removal of MongoDB ? Something I did wrong maybe.

I’m not sure what you’ve done, but Tyk can’t help you clean up a broken MongoDB installation. it would have been easier to remove the database using the mongo DB CLI tool that deleting things with the CLI :-/

Sorry my response wasn’t really precise. I did use the mongo CLI tool, I used the following command : db.dropDatabase() on each database that was created by Tyk.

I will keep trying to fix this, but you seem to agree that the issue is related to something stored somewhere and not the installation itself.

Thanks

Hi,

So I finally found what I missed.

Here is what I ran to fix my issue :

sudo apt-get purge mongodb*

sudo rm -rf /var/log/mongodb/
sudo rm -rf /var/lib/mongodb/
sudo rm -rf /data/

And then I reinstalled mongodb, recreated the /data/db folder with permissions and started the service.
My tyk-dashboard is now working again. Hooray !

Thanks !

2 Likes