Hmac authentication issue

I’m trying to validate hmac authentication for my api set. Below are the issue details I’m facing.
Setup :

1. I have enabled “HMAC (Signed Auth key)” for my api set in authentication dropdowns.

2. I’m passing authrization header as below.
    Signature keyId=<key_value>,algorithm=“hmac-sha1”,headers="(request-target) Date hmac-text",signature="${url_encoded_signature}"

3. I have added header Date and hmac-text
    The above header values are used for deriving the signature value.

4. For deriving the signature I have used the below shell script.
    function urlencode() {
    echo -n “$1” | perl -MURI::Escape -ne ‘print uri_escape($_)’ | sed “s/%20/+/g”

}

date="$(LC_ALL=C date -u +"%a, %d %b %Y %X %Z")"
encoded_date=$(urlencode “${date}”)
signature=$(echo -n “date:${encoded_date}” | openssl sha1 -binary -hmac |base64)
url_encoded_signature=$(urlencode “${signature}”)

echo “date: $date”
echo “encoded date: $encoded_date”
echo “signature: $signature”
echo “url_encoded_signature: $url_encoded_signature”

1. With the above when send api request, below is the error I’m getting.
    “error”: “Authorization field missing, malformed or invalid”

2. Gateway logs look like this.
    level=info msg=“API Requires HMAC signature, session missing HMACSecret or HMAC not enabled for key”
    level=error msg=“No HMAC secret for this key” error=“This key ID is invalid” keyID=<key_id>
    level=info msg=“Authorization field missing or malformed” origin=<origin_value> path=<api_path>

3. If I lookup for the key id i’m using in keys,
    ‘Enforce HMAC request signing’ is not checked.
    And when I try to check and update it says
    “HMAC Secret
    No Key HMAC secret for this user, please generate a new key.”

Kindly help me in setting up the this authentication for my api set.
And I have referred to this issue and have used the same script

Hi Ashwini,

How did you create the key used to authorise the requests?

Thanks,
Luan

Hi Luan,
Its the same key, which was issued after requesting key to defined policy for my api set, from dev portal.

Hi Ashwini,

We released a fix around HMAC secrets not displaying in the recent patch release: Tyk Gateway 2.5.1 and more

Can you confirm that the key you’re using has HMAC enabled via the dashboard?

Thanks,
Luan

Hi Luan,
Thank you very much for the update.
I checked with updated version i.e…
dashboard 1.5.1
gateway 2.51.
hmac secret is visible in dashboard now.
But I’m getting the below logs.
level=error msg=“Date parsing failed” date_string=0001-01-01 00:00:00 +0000 UTC
level=error msg=“Clock skew outside of acceptable bounds”
level=info msg=“Authorization field missing or malformed” origin=<origin_ip> path=<api_path>

I have disabled clock skew.
Even then I’m getting this error. Please help me with this

You will need to solve the date parsing issue first - ensure the date string is in the correct format (same as docs ideally)

Hi Martin,
When I generate signature with the below script and pass it in authorization header,
I get the below error.

Script :
date="$(LC_ALL=C date -u +"%a, %d %b %Y %X %Z")"
encoded_date=$(echo -n $date | perl -MURI::Escape -ne ‘print uri_escape($)’ | sed “s/%20/+/g”)
signature=$(echo -n “date:${encoded_date}” | openssl sha1 -binary -hmac <hmac_secret> |base64)
url_encoded_signature=$(echo -n $signature | perl -MURI::Escape -ne 'print uri_escape($
)’ | sed “s/%20/+/g”)

echo “date: $date”
echo “encoded date: $encoded_date”
echo “signature: $signature”
echo “url_encoded_signature: $url_encoded_signature”

Error :
level=error msg=“Signature string does not match!” expected=“fbWcm7QCRGF3WyaY9ALGrT6J6KE%3D” got=“Mn7CPaP6TL5RB82zTA%2FUqSFb97E%3D”

and if I pass the expected signature from above log i.e… fbWcm7QCRGF3WyaY9ALGrT6J6KE%3D its working fine.
but I don’t find anything wrong in my script. Can you please point out if I’m doing something wrong in there.

Here’s how we do it with just a date header, and here’s how we do it with multiple headers, these tests are based on the spec, so it might be something as simple as a newline.