Compatibility regarding TYK Upgrade

Hi Team,

We have couple of questions regarding tyk upgrade and would be needing your assistance for same.

1. Do we have any documentation stating which release is mapped with which TYK version.Ex: As per link Long Term Support Releases
    you have provided there is no mapping between release R3,R4… with actual TYK versioning (like TYK v4.3.4, TYK v5.0)? Also the support dates mentioned on the given page are applicable for the open source or paid license ?

2. We are thinking to upgrade our tyk-gateway from 2.5.1 version to higher version where in we would be needing your help with couple of queries stated below:

• When we are upgrading to 4.3.4 version of tyk-gateway then which version of redis and pump are most compatible to use ?
  • Secondly, if we are upgrading to 5.0 version of tyk-gateway then which version of redis and pump are most compatible to use ?
  1. We have another setup where we are thinking to upgrade our tyk-gateway from 3.2.1 version to higher version where in we would be needing your help with couple of queries stated below:
  • When we are upgrading to 4.3.4 version of tyk-gateway then which version of redis, mongoDB and pump are most compatible to use ?
  • Secondly, if we are upgrading to 5.0 version of tyk-gateway then which version of redis, mongoDB and pump are most compatible to use ?

Note: Request to share the list of compatible versions for redis , mongoDB and Pump for both TYK 4.3.4 and 5.0?(if not any specific)

1 Like

No, we do have any component mappings. A good rule of thumb is to use the latest component(s) version that was available at the time of your gateway’s version release. However, most of the components (gateway, pum) can work with each other due to backward compatibility. If there is a specific version meant for another component version, then we will let you know in the release notes.

They are applicable to both free and commercial.

Any of the redis supported version and mongo supported versions as outlined in our documentation is compatible with the latest Tyk releases. Please note that 4.3.4 is already out of support with the release of 5.0. (LTS). .i.e. support in this case means there won’t be fixes or patches for it since it is not an LTS release.

Pump is backward compatible so any version you choose should be fine. We recommend using the latest pump version.

1 Like

Just to add, from release 4.0.12 and 4.3.3 we are added support for Redis (6.2.x and 7.0.x)

Thanks Olu for your response.
I have couple of questions more here:

1. Need to understand the use cases how tyk gateway make connections with redis? (i.e. like in all versions of tyk gateway (2.x to 5.x) when it tries making connection with redis … is it sync process or async process ?)
  2. If i upgrade redis on 5.x , will it going to provide some benefits(in terms of performance or some other benefits) ? The API volume we currently have in our system ~1600 tps at tyk gateway distributed across 3 nodes.
  3. What if we upgrade the TYK Gateway(say to 4.x) and still continue using redis with existing 4.x version ?(Note: Although it is already mentioned on tyk pages it is backward compatible , just to double check for any issues we are raising this query)
  4. Can you also help us in providing the list of issues we have on TYK gateway 4.3.4 version. Are there any changes in rate limiting or other policies ?
  5. As per your commenton my earlier query is “4.3.4 TYK gateway is already out of support with the release of 5.0. (LTS). .i.e. support in this case means there won’t be fixes or patches for it since it is not an LTS release.”
    By this do you mean to say that for tyk gateway 4.3.4, you will be going to provide patches for any security or some major functionality break but will not going to provide custom patches(like if we want add some new feature on 4.3.4). Are we interpretting this in right direction ?
  6. Is there any support for tyk dashboard on opensource TYK gateway ?
  1. Need to understand the use cases how tyk gateway make connections with redis? (i.e. like in all versions of tyk gateway (2.x to 5.x) when it tries making connection with redis … is it sync process or async process ?)

I am not sure what you are asking here. Maybe you could explain a bit more. But you are welcome to look through the gateway’s source code for what you are looking for.

1. If i upgrade redis on 5.x , will it going to provide some benefits(in terms of performance or some other benefits) ? The API volume we currently have in our system ~1600 tps at tyk gateway distributed across 3 nodes.

If there is an inbuilt performance upgrade to Redis 5, then maybe. However, support for Redis is backward compatible. So I am very sure we won’t be using any new features that are not also available in any old versions.

1. What if we upgrade the TYK Gateway(say to 4.x) and still continue using redis with existing 4.x version ?(Note: Although it is already mentioned on tyk pages it is backward compatible , just to double check for any issues we are raising this query)

No, I am not aware of any issues. However, please let us know if you run into any issues.

1. Can you also help us in providing the list of issues we have on TYK gateway 4.3.4 version. Are there any changes in rate limiting or other policies ?

I don’t think I have a handy list considering no software is ever free of bugs or issues. New issues can be discovered anytime. You could check the release notes of the next or latest version after 4.3.4. The fixes/fixed section would give you a broad overview of the issues with a particular version. Currently 5.0 and 5.0.1 are the latest releases.

1. As per your commenton my earlier query is “4.3.4 TYK gateway is already out of support with the release of 5.0. (LTS). .i.e. support in this case means there won’t be fixes or patches for it since it is not an LTS release.”
    By this do you mean to say that for tyk gateway 4.3.4, you will be going to provide patches for any security or some major functionality break but will not going to provide custom patches(like if we want add some new feature on 4.3.4). Are we interpretting this in right direction ?

Yes, that is what I am saying. Please be aware that implementing feature request are at the discretion of the engineering team.

1. Is there any support for tyk dashboard on opensource TYK gateway ?

Unsure about the question. Do we provide support for dashboard? Yes. The dashboard is commercial product, so you need a license. Also, the dashboard works with the gateway.