API portal, catalogue and policies

Assume I have N APIs

• Weather API
  • Inventory API
  • … API

I have a single “master” policy that allows the keys to access to all the APIs.

I also have N sets of swagger documents describing the APIs.

However, I’ve noticed that each API catalogue entry requires their own policy, which would mean that I would need N policies, for all N API docs.

And the API key requested would be from the policy rather than the single master policy.

I am wondering are there plans to allow a single policy to be assigned to multiple catalogue entries and open API documentations.

Thanks
Bill

Hi Bill

Are you using tyk on-prem, or Tyk Cloud/Hybrid?

Hi James:

It will be an on prem installation for a large telecom company with multiple business units/divisions.

Thanks!

Bill

Hi Bill

In Tyk, a policy comprises access control to 1 or more endpoints, and can be published, along with documentation to the developer portal.

For this reason you can also think of a policy as a “product” - a common use case is to “wrap together” multiple endpoints into a single policy, perhaps price endpoint, image endpoint, description endpoint, etc, all provided by different systems. That policy is then published to the portal, by default with a single swagger doc or similar, as “The Ecommerce API”, providing a simple facade to consumers. We prefer this abstraction, rather than exposing the various legacy systems and APIs you may have on a 1-to-1 basis.

With an on-prem install, you can adjust the portal templates (you have full acccess) or alternatively use the Portal APIs and simply add the portal signup/self-service functions to your preferred web-platform (Open source options I know of include a wordpress plugin, a custom ruby portal, etc)

I’m not sure I fully get your use case, but perhaps by customising the portal and considering the usage of policies in this way, you will be able to achieve what you require?

Thanks

James