Having trouble with hybrid RPC login

Hi,

I’ve followed the instructions to get this running in a docker container to a T I think but something appears to be wrong with the connection to the RPC service.

I’ve made minor modifications to the start.sh script to run this on bash.exe in Windows and that part appears to be fine.

I suppose another exceptional thing to note is that I’m in running this in China, where internet connectivity to the outside world can be spotty but I’ve also tried with a VPN.

Here are the logs:

--> NginX Disabled
--> Binding to slugs instead of listen paths
--> Starting Tyk Hybrid

Starting redis-server: redis-server.
time="Sep 11 03:52:35" level=info msg="Connection dropped, connecting.."
time="Sep 11 03:52:35" level=info msg="Starting Poller"
time="Sep 11 03:52:35" level=info msg="Setting up analytics normaliser"
time="Sep 11 03:52:35" level=info msg="PIDFile location set to: ./tyk-gateway.pid"
time="Sep 11 03:52:35" level=error msg="Instrumentation is enabled, but no connectionstring set for statsd"
time="Sep 11 03:52:35" level=info msg="Setting new RPC connection!"
time="Sep 11 03:52:36" level=error msg="RPC Login incorrect"
time="Sep 11 03:52:36" level=warning msg="[RPC Store] Login failed, waiting 3s to re-attempt"
time="Sep 11 03:52:36" level=warning msg="[RPC Store] --> Detected cold start, attempting to load from cache"
time="Sep 11 03:52:36" level=info msg="[RPC] --> Connected to DB"
time="Sep 11 03:52:36" level=error msg="ciphertext too short"
time="Sep 11 03:52:36" level=error msg="[RPC] --> Failed to get node backup (node-definition-backup:): Key not found"
time="Sep 11 03:52:36" level=warning msg="[RPC Store] --> Done"
time="Sep 11 03:52:39" level=error msg="RPC Login incorrect"
time="Sep 11 03:52:39" level=warning msg="[RPC Store] Login failed, waiting 3s to re-attempt"

ad infinitum!

Any thoughts? Thanks!

So far it really looks like wrong credentials.

You can try to verify it by accessing dashboard API like this:

curl -H "authorization: <api-key>" https://admin.cloud.tyk.io/api/users

It should give you the list of your org users.

Hope it helps!

Leon, Tyk Team

Hi Leon. Hope I didn’t wake you up! That works in the container and environment variables appear to be being set correctly:

root@e00a0941ce76:/opt/tyk# curl -H "authorization: ${APIKEY}" https://admin.cloud.tyk.io/api/users
{"users":[{"api_model":{},"first_name":"Luke" ... etc

The other one that seems important is ORGID which is set to the “RPC key” in the graphic in the docs. Not sure what SECRET is; I just made something up.

Hi @lukep,

Hybrid accounts need to be enabled on our end by an account manager or an administrator, or are automatically enabled when you buy a subscription. Has your org been granted Hybrid access?

Cheers,
Martin

No, I haven’t done that yet. Was hoping I could take it for a test drive before paying. We are currently evaluating several solutions and need both transforms and composition. Hybrid seems to be the easiest way to do a PoC in our situation

@lukep we can arrange a trial if you like - I’ll get one of our account team to follow up.

That would be great. Thanks!

One more thing: We would like to use virtual endpoints with file-based middleware. Could you please confirm that this will be possible in a hybrid setup?

Yes it is possible - you would need to mount the volume into the container